Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Miracles, Movies, and the Gift of Tongues

Miracle

As I mentioned before Independencia Argentina is not exactly flush with people desperate to get baptized. Everyone we meet here is Catholic or very not interested, so a lot of my time here has been spent clapping at houses and having no one respond. Yet we have been using every prayer as an opportunity to ask God to let us find the person who needs the Gospel in their lives, who needs baptism right now.
Another Beautiful Day in Argentina!

As we were leaving a member's house after a lesson last Sunday we had a little girl run up to us and ask us if we were the girls giving out Tarjetas of Jesus. The days before this I had filled out a bunch of Tarjetas (cards) with the church address and our phone number and been handing them out to everyone I met on the street. They have fun different pictures of Jesus on them, and I still had a bunch on me so I gave the girl a bunch of options and she picked her favorite one. 

After she asked if we had a book, and I of course had my Book of Mormon on me so I gave her the book and Hermana Merlo grabbed a Tarjeta with the instructions to pray and put it in the story of 3 Nephi of Jesus beckoning the little children to come unto him, and bore her testimony of how Jesus loves the children of the world. The little girl was so excited and pointed out her house and told us to come back as soon as we could. 

Later while doing divisions Hermana Merlo was with another Hermana and they went to go visit the little girl. As they went outside her house she was there with her cousin and a bunch of other neighborhood kids. They were all so excited as the little girl explained that they were messengers of God and Hermana Merlo gave them all Tarjetas and they all pointing out their houses and were so eager for us to visit them and tell them more stories of Jesus. 

We're going to go visit the little girl and her parents tomorrow. Her parents told her to tell us that we could come by anytime, so I'm really optimistic that they're who we've been praying about. If nothing else I'm so grateful we were able to bring joy into those children's lives and let them know that Jesus loves them! 

This was such a miracle to me and a testimony that when you follow the spirit he can make anything possible! If I hadn't followed the prompting to invite everyone I met to church by making Tarjetas that little girl would've never known we were handing out Tarjetas and wouldn't have asked us for one. Even if your efforts seem small - do them anyways! Because God will multiply them to mean more! 

Español 

We were teaching a lesson this Sunday and I was expecting it to go like all the other lessons have, where I listen a lot and stay quiet because I can't really speak a lot of Spanish yet. However this was not the case this week as I discovered I'm actually fluent in Spanish... IF we're talking about movies. I'm very passionate about media and movies so when the conversation moved to movies I was very excited and managed to chime in a couple times.

Then someone mentioned a movie that only I had seen and I was asked to explain the plot of it. So I'm sitting there with my broken Spanish trying to explain the plot of a movie when I only learned how to use past tense like a week ago! But I did it! Everyone was understanding and laughing along with me and Hermana Merlo only helped to clarify one sentence that I had poorly translated! 

From now on the gospel is only being taught in movie references or quotes! After leaving, my companions complimented my Spanish and I can't believe how much I've already improved. A week ago I was struggling to understand every other word, and now I'm having a full on conversation where I understand everything being said and contributing equally. 

The gift of tongues is real!

Funnies

Hermana Ellison dared Hermana Merlo to eat these berries. Her mouth burned all day. What plant is this?

Discuple Señor, quiere una tarjeta?
The Horse very much enjoyed the pass along card...


Divisions when you're the companion of the STLs means ice cream in bed 🤩
Ice Cream in Bed? I say Si!

1 comment:

  1. I am not surprised at all that your Spanish is improving so fast. And what a great story about the children who invited you to meet their parents.

    ReplyDelete

Featured

Miramar is not "A full"

Miramar It's official, we are at the playa (beach). We spent our first p-day at the beach and it was so nice. In the morning it was a li...